The Foundations of Buddhism
Rather than try to cover everything, Gethin focuses on a few key concepts that he explores in depth in about 300 pages.
- begins with the narrative of the story of the Buddha
- discusses textual traditions
- provides the framework of the Four Noble Truths
- examines the interactions between the monastic and lay ways of life
- explores the cosmology of karma and rebirth
- studies the path of the bodhisattva
Gethin, Rupert. The Foundations of Buddhism. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1998.