An Introduction to Buddhism: Teachings, History and Practices
At 550 pages, this introduction provides much more detail than Keown on basic Buddhist concepts, practices, and history throughout Asia and in the West.
- explores the tensions and continuities between the different forms of Buddhism
- critiques and corrects some common misconceptions and mistranslations
- discusses key concepts that have often been over-simplified and over-generalized
- provides detailed references to scriptures and secondary literature
- gives an updated bibliography
- includes a section on web resources
Harvey, Peter, An Introduction to Buddhism: Teachings, History and Practices. 2nd ed. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2013.