This is an inexpensive paperback that packs a wide range of Buddhist texts, translated from different languages, into one light (650 page) book.
- brings together scriptures from a broad and geographical range
- gathers works from Pali, Sanskrit, Tibetan, Chinese , and Japanese
- provides tales of the Buddha's past lives
- discusses qualities and qualifications for a monk
- explores the many meanings of enlightenment
- presents a vivid picture of the Buddha and of the nature of the Buddhist tradition
Lopez, Jr., Donald S., editor. Buddhist Scriptures (Penguin Classics) (London: Penguin, 2004).