The Buddha: A Short Biography
A balanced introduction to what we know about the life of the Buddha and the stories Buddhists tell about him.
- compares academic portraits of the Buddha with that of the Buddhist practitioners
- illustrates how the Buddha's biography describes and reinforces Buddhist art, ritual, doctrine, and history and vice versa
- explains some Buddhist doctrines through the accounts of the events in the Buddha's life
- incorporates materials that preceded the Buddha's birth, i.e. the discussion of the Buddha's previous lives
- describes the biography of the Buddha through fragments, autonomous scriptural stories, and vernacular traditions
Strong, John. The Buddha : A Short Biography (Oxford: Oneworld, 2001).